Housing Choice Voucher

Assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market
Frequently Asked Questions

How can I find out my placement on the waiting list?

 To find out about waiting list placement you should have received an email and within the email was a link to a platform called AssistanceCheck and a code specific to you that can be used to determine your placement on the waitlist. If you cannot remember or cannot find your code please contact ajacobsen@gonha.org or visit the “Contact Us” page. 

How do I request an extension on my voucher?

 To request an extension please email ajacobsen@gonha.org to see if you qualify. You will need to be able to explain the efforts you have made to find housing so it can be determined if an extension is necessary. 

If I am currently residing in the unit that I want to receive assistance on, how will I know when the inspection for my unit is scheduled?

 Your inspector will contact you and will inform you when the inspection will be completed. 

If I qualify for a one-bedroom unit, but there is a two-bedroom unit available within the one-bedroom payment standard, will I qualify for the two-bedroom unit?

 Yes, if the two-bedroom unit is within the one-bedroom payment standard (utilities plus rent), you may qualify for the two-bedroom unit. However, if after one year of residing in the unit, the landlord chooses to request a rent increase of up to the tow bedroom payment standard, you will responsible for the amount that exceeds the one-bedroom payment standard. 

How do I report changes in family income and/or family composition?

 Please contact Melinda Watson at mwatson@gonha.org for any income or household changes. 

How can I ensure my dwelling unit passes inspection?

 Refer to “A Good Place to Live!” a booklet provided by HUD. 


I would like to move. What do I need to do?

You will first need to schedule an appointment with NHA staff to be certified to move. NHA staff will assist you with providing your current landlord the required notice to vacate. Please note you may be ineligible to move with continued assistance if you are within your initial 12 month lease term, if you owe money to NHA your landlord 

Can I use my voucher assistance in a different city? How about a different state?

Portability allows you to move to a different city or town. The unit can be anywhere in the United States where there is a Housing Authority or other agency operating a Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program. 

You may move with your Voucher if you: 

  • • Are in good standing with the Noblesville Housing Authority 
  • • Do not owe your landlord any money 
  • • Have lived in the jurisdiction of the Housing Authority issuing your voucher for at least 1 year 

Housing Authorities in Other Areas 

Because all HCV programs are governed by the same regulations, they will be very similar, however, Housing Authorities do have areas in which they can create their own rules. You will have to locate housing that fits within the guidelines of the particular area you have chosen to live in. 

Be prepared to give information and documents to the new housing authority regarding your income and family members including Social Security cards, birth certificates, etc. The process of moving from one housing authority to another is going to take some time so please be patient. 

Quick Links 

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development – Housing Authorities https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/public_indian_housing/pha/contacts 

I have received a notice of termination of my assistance. What can I do?

You will need to request an appeal in writing within 10 calendar days from the date of your termination notice. The written appeal request must be submitted to NHA within the 10-day window. Once NHA has received your written request for an appeal, a hearing will be scheduled.